When your mushrooms aren’t growing, smart guessing may not help much when it comes to discovering what really happens . Though growing mushrooms
even for the green thumbs can be as easy as…
opening your grow kit and following the directions on the side of the box (if pre-ordered), misting and the most fun part – harvesting!( you’d typically notice growth after about 7 – 15 days).
A stubborn kit presents its own frustrations and even worse is the bad feeling you have when you find out your mushrooms aren’t growing.
What to do if you have issues with why your mushrooms aren’t growing? – Troubleshoot!
How long did you store the farm( grow kit) before growing it?
It’s true the farm can stay considerably fresh in the box for months before you start growing your mushrooms. Make sure however that you keep your farm in a cool area/room that doesn’t receive any direct sunlight (i.e., closet, bedroom). But once opened you need oxygen, water, and light to activate your farm!
Where are you growing your farm?
If your home is always dry or on a high altitude, remember mushrooms need oxygen so it’s important to remove the additional plastic bag / newspaper around the kit as soon as you notice mushrooms growing. Then water the Mushroom Farm as instructed on your grow box. The more water you give your mushrooms the bigger and faster they grow so don’t ever be afraid of over-watering!
You could also consider using a window sill, a perfect fit for you urban dwellers out there. But ideally, you want to grow your mushrooms indoors with indirect sunlight and a bit of fresh air. Indirect sunlight will help the mushroom caps develop to their full potential. Once you see the tiny pinheads pop out, they’ll double in size each day!
We recommend that you continue to mist daily. If you have to travel for example but can’t find a mushroom farm babysitter, just re-soak your mushroom farm over night when you return for an extra boost!
Another worry point can be when you detect your mushrooms aren’t growing after your farm grew a beautiful first bumper and the second flush hasn’t come in or is taken longer than usual–
Don’t worry. Patience is key! Each subsequent crop may take some days or several weeks sometimes to begin growing ( depending on variety). Here are couple tips for better success:
- Re-soak your Mushroom Farm (if your grow kit is pre-ordered) for a few hours, up to overnight.
- Mind temperature: After the first harvest, your Mushroom Farm is more sensitive to temperature. Try to keep the kit in a bright area around 70 degrees if possible.
- Water, water, water!: Don’t let it dry out. You can even grow your farm using a humidity tent. Take a plastic bag or newspaper and cover the kit. Spray/drizzle water directly on to the mushroom kit everyday. The humidity tent helps trap in the moisture and you will notice a little moisture present on the surface of the mycelium.
If your mushrooms still aren’t growing after troubleshooting, try these additional steps to give it a boost:
- Score the surface of the mushroom kit with a fork and re-soak the kit overnight.
Place kit in a brighter area (filtered light is best).
- Keep the surface saturated. The more water the better. With additional moisture and light your mushroom kit should pin after another week.
- Keep your Mushroom Farm as far away from the AC or Heater – the dry air can prevent or slow down your Mushroom Farm’s growth
- If you don’t see any growth in 10 days, take the bag out of the box and re-soak your kit overnight in cold water. Additional watering will help boost your Mushroom Farm into fruiting.
- Remember, mushrooms need oxygen so it’s important to remove the additional plastic bag / newspaper as soon as you notice mushrooms growing. Then water the Mushroom Farm as instructed on our box. The more water you give your mushrooms the bigger and faster they grow so don’t ever be afraid of over-watering!