Suggested finishing flavor enhancers are also included to add extra sparkle.
This stew may be made up to 3 days in advance. Preparation takes 20 minutes and it usually cooks within an hour. It can be served immediately but better taste is guaranteed when served the next day.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces bacon, chopped fine
- 6 shallots, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 large leek, white parts only, sliced thinly
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, kept whole if small, chopped if large
- 2 pounds mixed mushrooms (shiitake, button, cremini, chanterelle, porcini etc), cleaned and chopped
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 3 quarts homemade beef stock
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley, trimmed and chopped
- unrefined sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Method for Mushroom Stew
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Swirl in the olive oil, then add the onions and cook until soft and fragrant, about 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Toss chopped carrots, celery and mushrooms into the pot with two bay leafs .
- Fry for two to three minutes, and add 2 cups dry red wine and 3 quarts homemade beef stock.
- Stir in potatoes with a wooden spoon, and then add the rosemary, sage, and thyme. Cook just until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Stir in the stock, cover, and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer until the potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork, about 12 minutes. Gently stir in the parsley, salt, and pepper and cook for another 2 minutes to bind the flavors.
- Remove the stew from the heat, stir in crisp bacon and chopped parsley. Season to taste with unrefined sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper as it suits you.
- Serve immediately. The soup can be made in advance — stored and covered in the refrigerator for up to three days.It should however be thinned out with extra stock as you reheat it.
Mushroom stew can be varied with a seemingly limitless list of mushrooms. Substitute hedgehog, lobster, black trumpet, porcini, portobello, or hen of the woods, so long as you have a total of 2 pounds. You can also have the vegan version without beef stock or bacon.0