Mushroom popcorn is perfect for use in confection. Unlike regular popcorn, mushroom corn is roughly spherical when popped, so there are fewer small pieces to break off as you put the popped popcorn through a coating process, like with cheese, chocolate or caramel popcorn.
5 Tips for making the ultimate gourmet mushroom popcorn
To get started, the first and most important step in making your own gourmet popcorn is to find the right home for the perfect popping experience. Mushroom popcorn needs space!
The second tip to help in making great gourmet popcorn is to buy the right oil for the job. The best oils to use are the ones that have the highest smoke-point. You might want to try peanut, soy, sunflower, light olive or a customer favorite like coconut oil.
Now that you have your oil ready and are waiting for it to get hot…your next tip is to know when the oil has reached the critical temp of 400 degrees.
The best way to know if you’re ready to pop is to test the oil with 2 or 3 kernels. Place a few kernels in your pot along with the oil on medium to medium-high heat. Once the kernels have popped, you are good to go. Continue to add the rest of your kernels.
- Start by getting a half cup of popcorn (mushroom corn) going in whatever popping system you use.
- Melt a half cup of butter in a saucepan and add a tablespoon each of dried onion flakes and dried bell pepper flakes.
- Toss in several dried mushrooms cut into small pieces and stir it over a medium head for a few minutes.
- Pour that over the popcorn (mushroom corn), toss it a bit to coat as much popcorn as possible, salt to taste and place in your pot along with the oil on medium to medium-high heat. Once a few of the kernels have popped, you are good to go.
- Continue to add the rest of your kernels…but be careful not to crowd the kernels. Once the popping becomes rapid and intense, try to keep the lid slightly ajar to let the steam escape…this will make the mushroom popcorn crispier.
- When the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove the pan from the heat, take off lid and pour into Popcorn Bowl and ENJOY!