Chinese leaf mushroom soup is a practical recipe which is essentially allergy free; which means you can enjoy your meal without any unpleasant symptoms in a deliciously healthy way!
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 450g/1Ib Chinese leaves
- 25g/1oz dried Chinese (shiitake) mushrooms
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 75g/3oz smoked streaky bacon, diced
- 2.5cm/1inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 175g/6oz chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1.1 litres/2 pints gluten-free chicken stock
- 4-6 spring onions trimmed and cut into short lengths
- 2tbs dry sherry or Chinese rice wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sesame oil for drizzling.
Method for Chinese Leaf Mushroom Soup
1. Trim the stem ends of the Chinese leaves and cut in half lengthways. Remove the triangular core with a knife, and then cut into 2.5cm/1inchslices and reserve.
2. Place the dried Chinese mushrooms in a bowl and pour over enough almost boiling water to cover. Leave to stand for 20 minutes to soften, then gently lift out and squeeze the liquid.
Discard the stems or preserve for later and thinly slice the caps and reserve. Strain the liquid through muslin –lined sieve or a coffee filter paper and reserve.
3. Heat pan over a medium high heat, add the oil and when hot add the bacon. Stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp and golden, stirring frequently. Add the ginger and chestnut mushrooms and stir-fry for a another 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the chicken stock and bring to boil, skimming of any fat and scum that rises to the surface add the spring onions, sherry or rice wine, Chinese leaves, sliced Chinese mushrooms and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Pour in the reserved soaking liquid and reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting
5. Simmer gently, until all the vegetables are very tender; this will take about 10 minutes. Add a little water if the liquid has reduced too much. Spoon into soup bowls and drizzle with sesame oil.
Serve Chinese leaf mushroom soup immediately.0